Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Times They Are a Changin'

When I was in highschool, all my older relatives told me to take it from them, someday I will wish I was back in highschool.  Well, I am now 53 years old and although I miss my "younger" days, that has never happened.  The truth is, I didn't learn much in high school.  Oh sure I learned stenography which became forever emblazoned in my mind...but what good is that???  Most of what I learned that is at all useful anymore is manners, forgiveness, to do unto others as they would do unto you, compassion, kindness, & common sense.  I did not learn these things in school.  I learned them from my family while I grew up.

In addition to the "old folks" telling me about the good old days when music was music & me swearing I would NEVER say that.  I won't go so far as saying that I never said something similar  (after all, who really thinks rap is music???)   In the 70's there was music I did not like...The Who, Rush, Judas Priest..to name a few.  I am pretty open minded, and I love a lot of today's stuff....those my age who don't, need to open up to it.

But that's not the point of this rant.  For me, it all comes down to manners & common sense & wondering what happened to them?  Also, taking responsibility for your kids instead of shirking it off to teachers, day care workers or anyone else.  Here a a couple words we should all remember.  Please.  Thank You.  My cousin Amy Christopherson Logan recently had her first book published called A Girl With A Cape.  The book details Empowerment for kids AND adults. This is a story about a little girl who feels there is so much more to life...that SHE can make a BIG difference!  And this is what it's all about to me.  Be kind to others.  This is the only way we can continue this legacy & hope that it rubs off on even 1 person.  If it does, you made a difference.    I honestly do not know what happened to common sense.  I cannot believe that everyone is so self involved that it has all exited stage left.  When I was a kid, we respected elders, or we got our asses beat.  No, it was not child abuse.  It taught me respect & it never crossed my mind that I was abused.  I was not.  Kids seem to think that they can cry abuse for getting a spank on the bottom & because of this, adults don't discipline in this way. Instead, we have "time outs" and look where our youth is these days as a result?  Kids need to learn for every action, there is a reaction.  That my friends is common sense.  I do not condone beating kids, but a little swat on the bottom never hurt anyone, and it never will.  

I feel this post getting away from me because I have so much to say.  What I really want to relay is for each & every one of us to take responsibility for ourselves.    Also, try doing an act of kindness for another person each & every day.  If it doesn't come back to you right away,  so what?  You will feel great inside, I guarantee it.  

If you would like more information on my cousin Amy Christopherson Logan's Book, please got to A Girl With A Cape for more information    If you would like to order a copy please go to Get Your Cape.  

Peace out you guys, I didn't mean to ramble, but I knew my mind would race when I posted on this....





No comments:

Post a Comment