Search This Blog

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Who Knew Naming A Puppy Would Be So Hard????

My goodness I had no idea it would be so hard for my significant (here forward referred to by his name - Dan) other & I to come to an agreement on the name of the new puppy we got on Friday night, April 12th, 2013.  Or should I say, I never knew how stubborn he could be...


Our new puppy is a Brittany.  I have been a dog person all my life, and fell in love with the Brittany years ago while I was raising, training, and showing Siberian Huskies.  Dan was more of a little dog person having had a tiny toy poodle before & then one we shared together.  

We were obviously dog lovers, but after both our dogs passed, we figured we were done with dog ownership.  I think maybe I wore him down & got him to take a look at the Brittany.  He hunts & we live in a hunting rich area now, so he did a little homework on them & liked what he saw.  

Once he made up his mind that he liked the breed, I had to slow him down a little since he was anxious to get one.  We researched a couple breeders, and let one fall by the way side before we found Lakeside Brittanys.  After speaking to Lisa (the owner) we put down a deposit & waited for what we wanted.  A female red & white puppy with nice markings & good personality.  

OUR GIRL WAS BOR
February 15, 2013

Since the puppy was a hunting dog, Dan, wanted a nature related, or woodsy name.  I can dig that.  No problem.  The problem became that he was hell bent on calling this cute little thing Hazelnut.


Hazelnut?  Surely he could not be serious.  Surely I was wrong.  

What would we call her?  Hazel?  


So, okay...I figured I had at least 8 weeks to come up with an alternative name that fit his criteria and that he would like.  I don't know about anyone else, but the name has to fit the dog, and she is definitely NOT Hazelnut. 

I started throwing names out.  Lilly, Bella, Portia, Lexie, Rocket, & Starla.

No. No. No. No. No. and No.

I scoured websites for appropriate names.  I asked for suggestions, and boy did I get them.  This went on for about 5 weeks & I still could not get him to budge from Hazelnut.  I was now starting to panic.

How could I possibly let this little cutie end up with the name Hazelnut???


I am not sure why, or how it happened, but Dan announced he had come up with a new name.  I was excited because I figured it couldn't possibly be worse then Hazelnut.  Then he laid it on me.



JUNEBUG???

Please, god no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   First of all, I hate bugs.  Secondly, I didn't think it could get worse then Hazelnut, but boy, was I wrong!!!

My gears now went into overdrive.  The clock was ticking & I had to come up with a name...FAST!

I continued to ask for assistance from my friends & family via that wonderful social networking site called none other then Facebook.  Every name I came up with, he shot down.  I even tried the old Diodji.  It made me bristle, but it would be better then Hazelnut or Junebug.  

At some point, someone came up with the name "Twigs".  I wasn't crazy about it, but, again, it was better then his a for mentioned names.

I continued my search for the name she was born to have.  I did not want to settle for less then that, but all my names got the same response. 


No.

Days passed & we were no closer to a name that we both loved then day 1.  The day came to pick her up & we still had no name.  I just figured it would come to me.  When I saw Dan holding her, it did.  She was Remmie.  I knew this was the name she was born to have.  It also fit all Dan's criteria.  It was short for Remington (rifle) which has to do with hunting.  It was easy.  It was unique.  It was a nod to her daddy whose name is Gunny.  I could not be happier.  I knew this was her name & I was sure Dan would give it his stamp of approval.  


My heart was just broken since I knew this was the name she was born to have.  Dan's response.  Not unique enough.  UGH!  Try as I might, I could not convince him to embrace the name.  I tried for 2 days.  No go.  I could not stand the fact that we had this cute little puppy & she had no name.  She deserved a name.  

I went back to the drawing board & browsed 3,150 names, throwing out suggestions as I browsed. 

Willow, Poppy, Brooke, Daizee, Skye, Razzy, Pixie, Bindy, Scout, Bullet, and finally Cami (camoflage).


At this point, I am at the end of my wits.  I just want her to have a name.  Dan announces to me that our daughter-in-law came up with a name I will like.  He tells me.  I still don't feel this is her name, but I will live with it, and I will get used to it.


Meet our beautiful peanut.
Meet G.G./Gigi

I invite your comments.  What do you think of the name?





2 comments: